yum+preupgrade+anaconda: Cannot upgrade release with 'exclude=' entries in /etc/yum.conf

I've been trying to upgrade some of our systems using preupgrade, which uses a combination of yum + anaconda. On our systems without any exclusions in /etc/yum.conf or /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/versionlock.list this all works fine, either by using 'preupgrade' or by doing a 'live upgrade' by installing the new release rpms and then doing a 'yum update --obsoletes'. However, when we try to preupgrade a machine that has exclude entries in the yum config files then the release upgrade fails and we get a message like:

Error Message:
TurboGears-1.0.4.4-2.fc9.noarch.rpm cannot be opened. This is due to a missing file, a corrupt package or corrupt media.

It turns out that TurboGears is one of the packages in the 'exclude=' list in /etc/yum.conf. So it looks like there is a disconnect between the 'yum' part of the preupgrade processing and the 'anaconda' part of the process.

Is there some way to configure yum or anaconda such that we can do a preupgrade on systems having package exclusions in the yum config files?

Regards,
Gerry