Re: dependency failure w/ yum (and pirut), ok with rpm -i

Maurizio Vitale wrote:
> David Timms <dtimms@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> There seems to be both 32 and 64 bit packages that are
>> mentioned. Perhaps there is an older version of the 32 bit that is
>> tripping yum up ?
>
> Mhhh, this shouldn't be the case. Which prompted me to crosscheck the
> rpms and indeed what I was downloading in one VM was not what I was
> uploading from the other. Of course a stale copy was present where the
> installer was looking for it.
>
> Once that's been fixed everything is fine: I can install on a very clean
> CentOS an RPM package that has been created on a much less clean
> development CentOS.
>
> Now that stale copy mentioned above was created on OpenSUSE and
> installing fine there. Is there this much sensitivity on the machine
> where the RPM is created? I certainly hope to be able to create RPMs
> that can be installed using the native package manager on many/all RPM
> based distributions. Is that a naive expectation on my part and should I
> just focus on CentOS/RHEL, or is just a matter of me needing to learn
> more about RPM packaging?

I would recommend you investigate the way Fedora builds RPMS for the
various Fedora releases.  They have automated the install of a fresh VM
with dependencies needed for the RPM being built for that specific
distro.  I doubt you'll be successful building a gcc RPM on SuSE and
then installing that same RPM on Fedora or RHEL.

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                             |       |
       Corporate Security Programs Org    . | | | . | | | .