Re: dependency failure w/ yum (and pirut), ok with rpm -i

David Timms <dtimms@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> There seems to be both 32 and 64 bit packages that are
> mentioned. Perhaps there is an older version of the 32 bit that is
> tripping yum up ?

Mhhh, this shouldn't be the case. Which prompted me to crosscheck the
rpms and indeed what I was downloading in one VM was not what I was
uploading from the other. Of course a stale copy was present where the
installer was looking for it.

Once that's been fixed everything is fine: I can install on a very clean
CentOS an RPM package that has been created on a much less clean
development CentOS.

Now that stale copy mentioned above was created on OpenSUSE and
installing fine there. Is there this much sensitivity on the machine
where the RPM is created? I certainly hope to be able to create RPMs
that can be installed using the native package manager on many/all RPM
based distributions. Is that a naive expectation on my part and should I
just focus on CentOS/RHEL, or is just a matter of me needing to learn
more about RPM packaging?

Any link to doc on multi-distribution RPM packaging?

Thanks again for the help,

       Maurizio

--
Maurizio Vitale