Re: upgrading from 5.0 to 5.x

Seth Vidal wrote:

>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> I have a few follow up questions.
>>
>> I just used yum to update CenOS 4.6 but /etc/redhat-release
>> still indicates it's at CenOS 4.6.
>>
>> The lastest release of CenOS 4 is CentOS 4.7.
>>
>> So basically, once I update, I'll never know which release the
>> machine is running at since /etc/redhat-release doesn't change?
>
> You need to ask the centos folks about that. It's not a yum thing.
>

>> For instance, if I was running Fedora 5 and I used yum to update
>> the system I'd end up with Fedora 10 but /etc/redhat-release
>> would still indicate I'm at Fedora 5?
>
> Again, the content of the file is an issue for the folks who package
> the distribution. Not for the tool which performs the update.
>
> Do you see what I mean?
>
> -sv

Yes I understand - thanks - and sorry about the off topic
question.

--
Article. VI. Clause 3 of the constitution of the United States states:

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of
the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers,
both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by
Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test
shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust
under the United States."