Re: [YUM] Yum on critical system or embedded linux, have you ever tried ?

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 04:23:30PM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha enlightened us:
> tung dang wrote:
> >Dear friends,
> >Thanks for your reply.
> >As i known, Yum is written in python script  language, so it requires
> >interpreter. This make Yum slowly than some update tools.
> Seth could probably tell you more about this, but I don't think the main
> cause for yum to be "slow" is not because it's written in python.
> >If you don't mind, can you tell me more about the main differences
> >between Yum3.xx and Yum2.xx, that make the speed of Yum3.xx has
> >greatly improved.
> >
> There's the metadata parser and sqlite cache, which makes processing
> package information faster.
> There's also a whole lot of optimization, which in my case made yum with
> priorities plugin on RHEL5 + yum 3.2 MUCH faster compared to RHEL4 with
> yum 2.x.
>
> yum 3.x and yum 2.x has different requirements (in particular python and
> rpm version). See http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download.ptml for
> details.
>
> Centos4 comes with yum 2.4.3, and I suggest you stick with that if you
> decide to use yum. I tried yum 2.6 on RHEL4 but had some problems, so
> reverted back to 2.4. yum >=3 won't work because it needs python >= 2.4.
>
> If you want to use apt(+synaptic), you may want to start from Lineox 4.
> It still uses old version of apt, so I believe it can't use yum
> repositories.
>
> Since you're using Centos 4.5 I suggest you stick with their version of
> yum. A better solution would be if you can use Centos 5, which comes
> with yum 3. You can update it (manually) to latest yum 3.2.8 if you want :)

And the latest yum included in CentOS4 (yum-2.4.3-4.el4.centos) uses the
metadata parser written in C (yum-metadata-parser-1.0-8.el4.centos), so you
get that speed enhancement as well.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak