Re: [YUM] Yum on critical system or embedded linux, have you ever tried ?

tung dang wrote:
Dear friends,
Thanks for your reply.
As i known, Yum is written in python script language, so it requires interpreter. This make Yum slowly than some update tools.
Seth could probably tell you more about this, but I don't think the main cause for yum to be "slow" is not because it's written in python.
If you don't mind, can you tell me more about the main differences between Yum3.xx and Yum2.xx, that make the speed of Yum3.xx has greatly improved.

There's the metadata parser and sqlite cache, which makes processing package information faster. There's also a whole lot of optimization, which in my case made yum with priorities plugin on RHEL5 + yum 3.2 MUCH faster compared to RHEL4 with yum 2.x.

yum 3.x and yum 2.x has different requirements (in particular python and rpm version). See http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download.ptml for details.

Centos4 comes with yum 2.4.3, and I suggest you stick with that if you decide to use yum. I tried yum 2.6 on RHEL4 but had some problems, so reverted back to 2.4. yum >=3 won't work because it needs python >= 2.4.

If you want to use apt(+synaptic), you may want to start from Lineox 4. It still uses old version of apt, so I believe it can't use yum repositories.

Since you're using Centos 4.5 I suggest you stick with their version of yum. A better solution would be if you can use Centos 5, which comes with yum 3. You can update it (manually) to latest yum 3.2.8 if you want :)

Regards,

Fajar