Re: Yum or repository problem?

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 08:01:11AM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Now is it a problem in repos or in yum? I would say both. The 3rd
> > paryt repo, in this case ATrpms, can't react that fast to changes in
> > the master repo, not even the (two) kernel modules shipped in Fedora
> > themselves can. So for a short period of time there will be "broken"
> > dependencies.
> >

> This is precisely why I prefer dkms. It automatically builds new modules
> to match your kernel version.

Well, the context is missing, so let me add it: It is not about new
kmdls, but about old ones from kernels that have just dissappeared.

dkms has currently the problem that the modules aren't conceived as
packages at all and don't get removed on package removal. There is
talk about making this happen, and if the solution is to create a
dependency on the kernel you will see exactly the same thing.

E.g. an ugly workaround would had been to drop the kernel dependency
in kmdls. Then this bug would not surface, but it would be a very
unclean and unhealthy setup package-wise.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net