Re: Re: Yum or repository problem?

Axel Thimm wrote:
> Now is it a problem in repos or in yum? I would say both. The 3rd
> paryt repo, in this case ATrpms, can't react that fast to changes in
> the master repo, not even the (two) kernel modules shipped in Fedora
> themselves can. So for a short period of time there will be "broken"
> dependencies.

This is precisely why I prefer dkms. It automatically builds new modules
to match your kernel version.

Then again, the hooks for dkms in RHEL/Fedora/Centos is not as good as
they are in ubuntu, in the sense that modules will be built by default
when the new kernel boots, which makes it somewhat not-so-useful for
disk drivers. I had to modify module-init-tools to make dkms build a new
kernel module (and initrd) immediately whenever a new kernel is installed.
> Yum's "fault" is that it is too fragile against such changes, other
> depsolvers like apt and smart are more forgiving. But there is a
> plugin that makes yum behave like apt and smart called
> "skip-broken-dependencies" plugin or similar. Desite its frightening
> name I would recommend this as the default setup for any system.

I believe the official name is "skip-broken" plugin.
Its very nice, but with kernel modules out of the way I haven't had any
need to activate the plugin.

Regards,

Fajar