Re: proxy isa server

paolovg@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello Dave,
I have two various behaviors......
I am using centos 4.5 Operanting system.

If I execute the command "yum update" I obtain this message error:
-----------

Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: update
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: update
About 9 months ago yum had a problem with proxies, where the client machine had to have working dns for the proxy to work. I know this got improved at the time, but I may have seen a message on the list indicating further problems.

Basically the yum code would dns lookup the mirrorlist/baseurl domains, then connect to the proxy and request the URL using the looked up number. At my site this wouldn't work because no machines are actually allowed to do the DNS lookup. At the time I could workaround it by supplying the proxy address and URLs as IP numbers.

yum has a debug parameter -d, so try
yum -d 15 update
should give more useful messages about what is happening.

(The software up2date on Centos use yum?)
I think it does past version 3.

My proxy settings from yum.conf:

proxy=http://proxy.domainname:8080/
proxy_username=domainname\user
proxy_password=password

Can you authenticate with this proxy from the centos machine in firefox ?
I wonder if you could ~trick the proxy by authenticating from the web browser, and then running yum afterwards ?
Did you find the http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq ?
And if you tried it, how did you set up:
http://ntlmaps.sourceforge.net/

DaveT