Re: Updating Fedora Core

Hmm yes, well I tried it both ways.
First update everything except the kernel to FC4 then install the 2.6.17 kernel or first install the new kernel then try to boot the system with the that kernel. Both ways didn't boot. Well the server now hangs again and I'm about to call my provider and see what they can tell me.

Tom

From: Brian Long <brilong@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Yellowdog Updater, Modified" <yum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Updating Fedora Core
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:08:49 -0400

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 14:12 +0000, Tom W. wrote:
> It's not really dependencies, it's after the update to FC4 the 2.6.17 kernel > doesn't boot and since I got SSH access only I can't really see whats going
> on.
> I also tried this procedure on my laptop. There I was able to update up to
> FC5 but then dependency problems started to occur. Unfortunately I'm not
> sure anymore what dependencies caused a problem. Well I remember something > with kudzu and other stuff requiring a kernel smaller 2.6.13 and/or 15 even
> though I was running with a 2.6.12 kernel.
> Messages that didn't make sense at all. That's where I actually gave up.

I remember seeing this on Fedora Core 4 when I tried to upgrade to
Rawhide at the time (before FC5 was out).  It has to do with kudzu or
something conflicting with the old 2.6.12 kernel.  It turns out I had to
get the latest kernel, reboot using it and remove the old kernel (rpm -e
kernel-2.6.12-foo) before I could continue the update.

/Brian/

--
       Brian Long                             |       |