Re: YUM: print download list

Lev A. Melnikovsky wrote:
Dear Tim,

  On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 at 12:14pm, Tim Lauridsen wrote:

I'm missing a very simple functionality which I still can find neither in man nor in FAQ. I want 'yum update' to provide a list of URLs of the packages instead of immediately downloading them. This list could later be fed into wget or whatever so that potentially long download can be done at a different time. One can later run 'yum localupdate' when required packages are already downloaded manually. Does yum already have a switch to turn this on?

My understanding is that

'yumdownloader --urls --resolve'

should provide similar functionality, but it (as in yum-utils-1.0.2-1) dies with:
[...]
It is fixed in CVS now, but i also found a bug in yum, so it will only work with current yum 3_0_X CVS. I will release a new release of yum-utils, then the next yum 3.0.x is released.
Oh, thank you very much!

Can you confirm, that YUM itself does not support this simple "feature"?

Yes, Yum don't have this feature, but have a powerful API, so tools like yumdownloader can be created to do the not so common tasks.

I don't understand why you want a list for urls and feed it into wget at a later time and run yum localinstall on the download rpms.

Why dont you just run 'yum -y update' at a scheduled time.

Tim