yum failed update - duplicate packages

Hello,

Hoping for help - maybe a miracle.
I think I already know the answer to this question.
However I will throw myself into the fray, and hope someone may have a solution.

Brand new install FC5 (keeping away from 6 rightnow for various reasons)
only core /update/extras repos, no added ones at this time.

yum update - fine except lost internet connection more than 1/2 way through,
yum update halted - system rebooted by guest.

re-ran yum update many if not all duplicate packages & multiple versions
the update seems to have not removed the old packages

/ $ rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME} %{VERSION} %{ARCH}\n" glibc
glibc 2.4 i686
glibc 2.4 i686
$ rpm -qa openssh-server
openssh-server-4.3p2-4
openssh-server-4.3p2-4.11.fc5
$ rpm -qa glibc
glibc-2.4-4
glibc-2.4-11/
would post whole list but crazy
I realize now I should have run yum clean all, but I in fact did not
Assuming the machine is hosed. no way to recover... UNLESS....
someone here has a workable solution.
HELP !!!

Not a newbie, but not a guru by any stretch.
Thanks for any help at all .

Matt Marian