Re: Trouble after upgdarding FC3 to FC6

Stargazer wrote:
David Timms wrote:
Not sure about the segmentation fault.
Is the dvd the full fedora core 6 or one of the pre-release tests ?

Full one
I reckon give:
# rpm -qa|grep -E 'rpm|yum|kernel|python|fedora'|sort   {for some info}

[root@tiger ~]# rpm -qa|grep -E 'rpm|yum|kernel|python|fedora'|sort
dbus-python-0.70-6
fedora-logos-6.0.6-1.fc6
fedora-release-6-4
fedora-release-notes-6-3
gnome-python2-gconf-2.16.0-1.fc6
gnome-python2-gtkhtml2-2.14.2-4.fc6
kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
libxml2-python-2.6.26-2.1.1
libxslt-python-1.1.17-1.1
python-2.4.3-18.fc6
python-devel-2.4.3-18.fc6
redhat-rpm-config-8.0.45-6
rpm-4.4.2-32
rpm-build-4.4.2-32
rpm-devel-4.4.2-32
rpm-libs-4.4.2-32
[root@tiger ~]# yum update rpm rpm-python
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
updates                   100% |=========================| 1.2 kB    00:00
core                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 305 kB    00:02
################################################## 1055/1055
Could not find update match for rpm-python
Could not find update match for rpm
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion
[root@tiger ~]# yum update yum yum-metadata-parser
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
Could not find update match for yum
Could not find update match for yum-metadata-parser
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion
OK, since rpm says yum is not installed, it must be that your machine has an old version installed that is not listed in the rpm database {and it's requirement are not met eg glibc or python - whatever}.
# yum --version
3.0.1

# cd to/Ur/mounted/dvd/Fedora/RPMS
# rpm -Uvh yum-3* yum-met*

If we can get yum to be properly installed then the rest of the packages should be update/installed easily by using a working yum. However, yum needs python, and the python you have installed might be too old, and then adding python would probably require a heap of other stuff.

If the above doesn't work, perhaps we should add --force to the above command.

If either of these work, do a few yum commands like yum check-update or yum list a* to see if yum is actually happy. If it is try small package groups at once. To speed things up, I think I would try to disable the extras and update repos and exclude eg openoffice*

# yum --exclude=openoffice* --disablerepo={update,extras} localinstall python-2 {tab} python-ele {tab} python-sql {tab} python-url {tab}

# yum update z*
and so on y* , x*, w* etc {avoid g* perhaps and l*}

# yum update kernel

DaveT.