Re: yumex/yum upgrade bug...

Robert G. Brown wrote:
On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, seth vidal wrote:

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 15:07 -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
Dear list,

I just used the standard install method (PXE booted to the usual install
GUI) to do an "upgrade" from a fairly clean (recently reinstalled) FC5
laptop to FC6 and encountered a few minor problems (minor with
potentially serious consequences; I'm hoping that my system isn't
trashed and won't need a clean FC6 reinstall).

a) The layering of the installation (or whatever) caused /etc/yum.conf
to contain

  distroverpkg=redhat-release

(which was not installed).  This is, I believe, supposed to be
overwritten with fedora-release (which WAS installed) so that it ends up

  distroverpkg=fedora-release

no, the first one is correct. distroverpkg looks for whatprovides
redhat-release which is fedora-release on fedora, rhel-release on rhel,
centos-release on centos (see a trend)

OK, my bad, I knew that.  Or at least you told me that before.  I was
struggling for an explanation for why yumex kept trying to access files
from the 5 tree post-upgrade and half-remembered that distroverpkg was
where the version got set but remembered the wrong half.  I guess that
the failure to clear the cache.conf below was the only problem then...
Do you think that clearing the cache.conf as described above would be best done as part of anaconda {if yumex is installed}, or in the yumex package post install scripts ? Is yumex in fedora core or extras ?

DaveT.