Http errors connection to repository

I have a repository configured on a local server.  When I connect to the
server using a baseurl of a local file (nfs mount), or by ip address,
everything works fine.  If I try to connect to the same server by its
cname or address name (a record), I get http 502 errors.  I can point my
web browser to the server and it works fine, it seems to be whenever I
try to connect to the url by hostname rather than ip address.  Any ideas
what could be wrong?