Re: RFC: Linking of Repositories

sv,

>>> Reply on 13-11-2006 17:27:12 <<<> On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 16:19 +0100, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
>
> I don't see the need in complicating the repository and dep resolution
> code in this way just to handle automatically adding N repositories. It
> seems like it would confuse the user and make debugging more of a bear.

You think that one is REALLY that complicated? I mean: you catch the dep-* and refeed it to the same handler for adding a repo (yes, sure, some checks required for not having it in an endless loop)

> Let's keep it simple. You get pkgs from the repositories you have
> enabled. If they are not enabled, you don't get pkgs from them.

There's ABSOLUTELY nothing to be said against this one. It SHALL only install packages availeble in active repositories. But that's wht it would be a good choice to have a 2nd repository being added automaticall under certain circumstances.

> Why is it all that much trouble for a distro to provide .repo files for
> the repos even if they're not commonly used?

So, the repo files are not commonly used. Hmm. I don't think that's a good point. Remember: A while ago, repositories were not used neither. First something has to exist and to mature before it starts to become used.

Dominique