Re: RFC: Linking of Repositories

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 16:19 +0100, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:

> Hmm, as I said, it's not only for this particular project that I ask,
> I'm more here as a dellegate.
> The change would be to extend the .repo format to support something
> like
>
> [channelName]
> name=A sample repository
> type=rpm-md
> baseurl=http://..../BinaryRepo/OS/Version
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=.....
> enabled=1
> dep-baseurl=http://..../DataRepo/
> dep-gpgcheck=1
> dep-gpgkey=......
> (optionally multiple dependencies, but that is probably nothing that
> should be needed)
>
> So, the new part would be dep-* which would instruct to link in at
> least on more repo.
>
> What other solution can you see? Of course, the user can add 2 repos,
> but that's a thing more or less impossible to instruct all users.
>
> The important part would be to have the SPEC for this .repo file set
> to a new version. Of course at the beginning not all binaries will
> interpret them (but they are hopefully kinda grateful on unknown
> parameters)
>
> so: you think there's really nothing that can be discussed about such
> a feature request anymore?

I don't see the need in complicating the repository and dep resolution
code in this way just to handle automatically adding N repositories. It
seems like it would confuse the user and make debugging more of a bear.

Let's keep it simple. You get pkgs from the repositories you have
enabled. If they are not enabled, you don't get pkgs from them.

Why is it all that much trouble for a distro to provide .repo files for
the repos even if they're not commonly used?

-sv