[Yum] newbie

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 04:42:22PM -0500, Steve Ingraham alleged:
> > Garrick Staples wrote:
> >But we might want to back up and ask, "Why do you want yum?"  RHEL
> isn't
> >a free distro and doesn't have any yum repositories.
>
> Why?  Well, I have inherited this system.  The previous administrator
> had a subscription to up2date that has expired.  I have been informed
> that yum can update our server in place of up2date so I am attempting to
> download it in order to update the server.  Are you telling me yum will
> not work for this purpose?  Am I not going to be able to utilize yum for
> updates to redhat?

Nope.  RHEL updates are based on subscriptions.

You need to update your subscription and use up2date, or convert your
system to a free distro.

You might look into the centos project, it is a free distro based on
RHEL.

University of Southern California