[Yum] proxy in yum.conf -- Bad Idea?-- clarification

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 04:48:13PM +0000, pat_n_cats@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Yesterday's post was sloppy.  Here are the actual
> details cut and pasted from yum.conf and "env"
>
> 1) added proxies to the yum.conf file
> proxy=http://nnn.mmm.n.n:3182
> proxy=ftp://nnn.mmm.kkk:21 <<<**** invalid IPaddress
>     yum could not connect to repos

Well, the former should work, assuming that your proxy works correctly
and supports http 1.1.  Indeed, the latter will not work.  The proxy
itself should be http, even if you're doing ftp THROUGH it.

Can you give us a little more information about what fails?  Perhaps
paste the relevant error message in.

> 2) defined global variables
> env | grep -i proxy
> http_proxy=http://nnn.mmm.n.n:3128

Again, that should work.

> Finally after days I commented the proxy=  statements in
>     yum.conf
>      yum connects and works !

> Nor have I bothered to investigate which of the proxy definition(s)
> is/are needed.  Looking at it now, the error in the ftp proxy is
> obvious I don't know how much damage this does.  Interesting that
> when it is removed from yum.conf, yum copes with this error
> elsewhere.

Perhaps we can keep this simple.

  1) Pick your favorite (syntactically and logically correct) way to
     specify a proxy.  Use it and no others.
  2) run yum
  3) send us the error report

					-Michael

--
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  ECE Department and Optical Sciences Center                520-626-1619