[Yum] rpms and header files ...

>   I'm sure some will remember me, I'm in South Africa with little to no
> bandwidth and always looking at ways to reduce the need of bandwidth.
> Current problem that yum help with is updating some Fedora Core system after
> installation and then after.  Now, if I have already downloaded big rpm's
> like the OpenOffice updates, which can be ten's of megabytes big, yum still
> needs to download the hdr file to know what's in the rpm.

To my knowledge, hdr files are dead already. newer versions of yum are
using repodata xml files. These are far smaller than the hdr files
were.

>  Now correct me if I'm wrong, but is the hdr file a small copy of the rpm
> it's self.  I'm sure I saw this awhile ago.  If so, and I know something
> will correct me if I'm wrong, but can't we change yum to check to see if the
> needed rpm is not in the package folder in the cache before looking to
> download the hdr file, which in it's self can be big for some packages? ie
> ... the hdr file for webmin in RPMForge is about 1.4MB big and the rpm 10MB.

Same point as above. repodata files are far smaller. The whole updates
repository repodata  for centos is under 3M.  I'm failing to see your
issue here, short of saying "quit using an old version of yum".

>  Would this also help with updates, when only the repomd.xml and
> primary.xml.* file need to be downloaded for an update if all the rpms need
> for an update are in place?

No. because those files are static on the server and not generated on
a per user-request basis.