[Yum] Yum run at boot won't install a package group

JLT> Oddly, it shows those two odd groups as being installed even
JLT> though the packages they contain are not installed.

Weird, if I do:

yum -y -d3 shell /etc/yum/yum-daily.yum

where yum-daily.yum contains:

update
groupupdate math-base
groupupdate math-dev
groupupdate math-emacs
groupupdate math-browser
groupupdate math-multimedia
groupupdate math-office
groupupdate math-tex
ts run
clean packages
exit

Then I get:

Running "config" handler for "installonlyn" plugin
Yum Version: 2.6.1
COMMAND: yum -d3
Installroot: /
Ext Commands:
   /etc/yum/yum-daily.yum
Filename passed to shell: /etc/yum/yum-daily.yum
Setting up Yum Shell
Reading Local RPMDB
Yum Version: 2.6.1
COMMAND: update
Installroot: /
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
Baseurl(s) for repo: ['http://yum.math.uh.edu/yum/fedora-core/5/i386/core']
Baseurl(s) for repo: ['http://yum.math.uh.edu/yum/fedora-core/5/i386/livna']
Baseurl(s) for repo: ['http://yum.math.uh.edu/yum/fedora-core/5/i386/updates']
Baseurl(s) for repo: ['http://yum.math.uh.edu/yum/fedora-core/5/i386/groups']
Baseurl(s) for repo: ['http://yum.math.uh.edu/yum/fedora-core/5/i386/local']
Baseurl(s) for repo: ['http://yum.math.uh.edu/yum/fedora-core/5/i386/extras']
Setting up Package Sacks
Building updates object
Yum Version: 2.6.1
COMMAND: groupupdate math-base
Installroot: /
Ext Commands:
   math-base
Setting up Group Process
Getting group metadata

and yum grouplist shows that math-base and math-dev are installed and
nonee of the other packages are, while in reality nothing was
installed or updated.  I'm just completely baffled.  I tried running
yum via:

su -l -c 'yum -y -d3 shell /etc/yum/yum-daily.yum' root

just to make sure it had a fresh shell to run out of, but there was no
change.

 - J<