[Yum] depsolver changes?

I'm rebuilding a pile of rpm packages for FC5 and am hitting a few
"interesting" problems.  These rpms were previously built for Centos 4.2
- the process worked OK on there.

However on FC5, using mach (as I did on Centos) configured to use yum
for making the roots and updating the dependencies, I am finding that a
load of things are unable to get their build dependencies satisfied.

This is down to versions such as 0.30 showing as older that 0.1405
(these are perl packages - sometimes they tend to have version numbers
with unlimited rightward creep :-( ).

Previously:-
   BuildRequires: perl(DateTime) >= 0.1405
would have been satisfied by perl-DateTime-0.30-1.i386.rpm
Now (on FC5) it is not.

Does this ring bells?  Is it a rpm or a yum change?

Versions
      * FC5
              * rpm-4.4.2-15.2
              * yum-2.6.0-1