[Yum] Delete older kernels?

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 10:16:53AM -0500, Jim Perrin wrote:
> On 3/20/06, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 03:25:14PM -0500, Jim Perrin wrote:
> > > I imagine it's pretty trivial, but one question....
> > > What happens if the new kernel doesn't boot/work?
> > > Aren't you pretty well screwed at that point?
> >
> > Boot from rescue CD, fix?
>
> Correct, but that wasn't really what I was getting at. The point I was
> attempting to make was that there's no "roll back to previous kernel"
> option. It's straight from the "Oh shit" reaction to the "where's my
> recovery cd". I always prefer keeping one previous known good kernel.
> Either way, telecoms have special needs and if it's tightly controlled
> it hopefully won't be an issue.

Ideally, that recovery "CD" is actually a recovery PXE boot and you
twiddle an option on your bootp server and next boot attempt it gets
told to pick up the recovery boot media instead of a regular
instruction to move along, and then bob's your uncle, you're figuring
out how it foobar'd and not putting the same kernel elsewhere.

However, in commercian environments these days the newer kernels from
the vendors don't come with immideate boot problems on "standard"
hardware from the big 5 or 6 vendors.

-Peter

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.