[Yum] YUM install error "warning: user skvidal does not exist -using root"

On 12/12/05, Paul Conn <reconn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work.  I tried
> installing YUM again and then immediately executed rpm -q but is shows YUM
> to not be installed.  Please see actual output below.
>
> # rpm -iv yum-2.4.1-1.src.rpm
> warning: yum-2.4.1-1.src.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 69886cc7
> yum-2.4.1-1
> warning: user skvidal does not exist - using root
> warning: group skvidal does not exist - using root
> warning: user skvidal does not exist - using root
> warning: group skvidal does not exist - using root
>
> # rpm -q yum-2.4.1-1.src.rpm
> package yum-2.4.1-1.src.rpm is not installed
>

> Paul Conn

As I said (and was quoted in your reply) source rpm packages don't
show up in rpm -q. .src.rpm is just a box with source and a build
script in it. that's about it. You still have to build it to get it to
work. Given that you seem to not be aware of what src rpms are, you're
probably better off using a prebuilt yum package.

As I said before. Get the rpm from the centos project
(http://mirror.centos.org/centos-3/3/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/yum-2.0.8-1.centos.7.noarch.rpm)
or check out pyvault if you want a newer version.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT