[Yum] YUM install error "warning: user skvidal does not exist -using root"

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 02:16:30PM -0600, Paul Conn wrote:
> Thanks for the help.  Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work.  I tried
> installing YUM again and then immediately executed rpm -q but is shows YUM
> to not be installed.  Please see actual output below.
>
> # rpm -iv yum-2.4.1-1.src.rpm

This does not install the software.  This is analogous to doing

  tar -xzf yum-xxxxx.tar.gz

It puts the stuff inside /usr/src/redhat where you can then muck with
it.  This is probably not what you want to do, but maybe it is.  From
there, you can build a binary rpm, which you then install on your
system.

> # rpm -q yum-2.4.1-1.src.rpm
> package yum-2.4.1-1.src.rpm is not installed

That's not how that command works.  It queries the packages by package
name, not by the filename they were installed with.  For example:

# mv foo-1.1.1-1.i386.rpm bar.rpm
# rpm -i bar.rpm
# rpm -q foo
foo-1.1.1-1

This is fictitious output, obviously.  However, the above point is the
main one.  Installing a source rpm does not install the software on
your system.  It installs the source so that you can play with it, not
run it.
					-Michael
--
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  ECE Department and Optical Sciences Center                520-626-1619