[Yum] importing and exporting current package list

On 12/2/05, Ian Scott <ian.m.scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is it possible to export a list of installed packages, take that list
> to a second machine, and then have yum import that list and add and
> remove packages on the second machine to match the list? Are there any
> tools, or yum options for doing this?

There is nothing natively in yum that would do this that I know of,
but a handful of command line redirects and such and you'd be all set:

$ yum list installed| awk '{print $1}'

That gets your list of installed packages.  Then you'd want to check
on the second machine for duplicates (uniq -c and a grep -v '^2' or
similar).  Then yum install the packages remaining.

> I have a set of similar machines, which I plan to install with
> identical packages. The machines are already setup with FC4, and I
> have added and removed some packages from the default install on one
> of the machines. I'd like to replicate that install on the other
> machines. If there are better ways of solving this problem, please let
> me know.

If I know you were doing this from the beginning, I would have said to
use kickstart to do the install on the other machines.  Maybe it's
still a reasonable idea.

> It seems that I can export a list using
>    yum list installed | cut -d ' ' -f 1
> No doubt I could write a script that could compare that list with the
> list on the new machine, and yum install or yum remove the appropriate
> packages. However, reading this list and other pages, it appears that
> scripting yum is not recommended.

I think that "scripting yum" is not supported in terms of creating a
screen scraper that grabs bits of yum output and then does stuff if
you want that screen scraper to work over time.  The implication is
that the output yum creates is not static and that you should expect
to have to update those "screen scrapers".  However, if you are doing
this once or twice then sure, go for it.

Regards,
Greg