[Yum] A proxy friendly Yum?

I recently upgraded the OS on several of my Linux servers & desktops &
noticed one thing. The upgrade cost me little bandwidth more than the
download size, as the yum downloaded the multiple copies from the
proxy..I had increased the max file size for caching.

However,once the primary server failed for some reason...whatever (maybe
one file is not there or a dns lookup failed or a temporary break in the
internet connection)....yum went on to the next server and started using
bandwidth all over again.

Would it be possible to have yum have a feature which when enabled would
get yum to try the servers in sequential order every time a server
failed...i.e. try to connect to the first, second server & so on for
every file...or maybe a better way...just so it is more proxy friendly
and obviates the need to maintain a local mirror.

With regards.
Sanjay.