[Yum] Re: updating packages with yum

On 9/13/05, Glen Vickers <ldwraith@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to get an antiviral program on my linux box.  When I go to
> install it gives me dependency errors.  I do the yum update on any of these
> packages and yum tells me that they are installed and up to date.  However
> if I do a web search or look for the release that the program is looking
> for
> (in this case clamav) there is newer releases out there.  I have even found
> the packages I need at download.redhat.com in their distro ftp site.  So
> how
> can I get yum to update all packages on my box like it's supposed to?  I
> have tried 2 different yum.conf files that I have.  Ones from LSU and the
> other was with the linux RH3 distro right off the CD.

Glen,

yum cannot update your RHEL system unless you point the yum.conf at a
functioning yum repository which has compiled binary RPM files.  The
CD is not such a repository.  I'm not familiar with "LSU" repository.
Perhaps you can post your yum.conf file online and that might help
diagnose your problem.  Also, please note FAQ
http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq#Q2 yum is made to update systems,
but where you find the repositories to update the system is not
something that yum can reasonably track and manage for each project.

Regards,
Greg