[Yum] Yum throught MS proxy

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 11:04:58PM -0500, Marcelino Mata wrote:
> I [not] do understand why this is still an issue with Yum since I
> have seen postings in 2004 on the same issue.

I completely agree.  I keep asking and asking, but microsoft won't
return my calls.

> I am using RedHat9 with apt-get and RHEL 3 with up2date and they
> have no issue working through the MS proxy. I'm not a programmer but
> isn't it just a matter of checking the source code for apt-get and
> figuring out how they did it?

You're assuming that yum and apt-get are trying to do the same
things.  HTTP is a complex protocol.  Yum and apt-get use different
features.  Specifically, yum uses byte-ranges, which many proxies do
not properly support.  You can wait 100 years for yum to "fix" this
but that problem is not in yum.

> Did I miss something which solves the Yum / MS proxy issue? Or is
> there a workaround for this issue I missed in my searches.

http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

I don't know what problem you are running into because you haven't
given us any details, but beyond configuration errors, that's the most
common problem.  Try using an ftp mirror because that handles
byte-ranges differently and avoids many of the problems with proxies.

						-Michael
--
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  ECE Department and Optical Sciences Center                520-626-1619