[Yum] Re: yum install using auto-dependency checking???

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 13:41 -0700, jeff stern wrote:
>
>>Greg Knaddison wrote:
>>
>>>Maybe I'm missing something here, but this makes complete sense to me
>>>as it was laid out.
>>>
>>>RPM (and therefore yum) don't have any idea about software installed
>>>outside of their world, so they don't know of any packages that
>>>provide libgds.so.  They do know what the requirements of an RPM
>>>package are, so when you ask what php-interbase package requires it
>>>can tell you exactly what it requires.
>>
>>but this is exactly the problem. the .spec file never said that the
>>php-interbase sub-package *requires* libgds.so.. but it generated it
>>anyway as a 'requires'.. so apparently, rpm's automatic
>>dependency-checking *does* check things that are not in rpms..?
>

> A better question is why is php-interbase requiring libgds.so when it's
> provided with libgds.so.0? Does the interbase-devel package have a file
> for libgds.so instead of a link?

thanks, ignacio.. i think you are right: yours *is* a better question,
since it gets to the heart of the matter.

well, all i can tell you is that in the earlier (7.1) version of the
interbase/linux drivers from borland, those drivers were packaged into
an .rpm, and the rpm installed /usr/lib/libgds.so.0 and then sym-linked
/usr/lib/libgds.so.0 to that and re-ran ldconfig in the post-install
script.  php-interbase would *build* with this library installed from
rpm, but would not *install* (at least, not without a --nodeps).

in the more recent version (7.5) of the interbase/linux drivers, borland
apparently gave up on trying to make rpms, and instead packaged them as
a tarball with an install-script. in this case, the library is put in
/opt/interbase/lib/libgds.so , and there is no ~.so.0 version or
symlink). if you want this libgds.so library to be seen by any other
programs on the box, then you have to give ld.so.conf this new location
and re-run ldconfig. nevertheless, with the newer version too,
rpmbuild/configure/gcc can find the library in order to *build*
php-interbase, but -- as with the earlier/7.1/rpm'd version of the
ib/linux libraries -- it cannot find the library to *install* php-interbase.