[Yum] yum install using auto-dependency checking???

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, jeff stern wrote:
> yes, exactly, and for that reason i would like to take my "AutoReq: 0" back
> out of the spec file, so that if one doesn't have interbase installed, then
> php-interbase won't install.
>
> however, the problem is that i DO have interbase installed. in fact, i am
> trying to install the php-interbase on the very system i BUILT php-interbase
> on! and you can't build php-interbase without the libgds.so installed.
>
> for some reason, neither yum's, nor rpm's auto-dependency checking can detect
> that libgds.so is on the system (regardless of whether the libgds.so is there
> from rpm or from tarball).

Stuff from tarballs is *never* considered by rpm (and any software using
rpm to resolve dependencies, like yum). The fact that having the InterBase
rpm installed doesn't help makes me think it's one of those infamous
"vendor rpm"'s which really contain a tarball that's extracted someplace
from %post, and thus it's real contents never end up in rpmdb.

Do 'rpm -qp --provides <interbase rpm>' to see if that's the case (rpm
-qpl <package> will tell you the truth about the rpm's quality of lack of
thereof as well.

 	- Panu -

> would this help? when i do the following (with the older/7.1
> InterBaseC_LI-V7.1.0-1.i386.rpm installed),
>
>  ldconfig -v
>
> then i get back:
>
>        libgds.so.0 -> libgds.so.0

What ldconfig says is totally irrelevant to rpm depsolving.

 	- Panu -