[Yum] Still having problems with FC4 local repository

Hi again,

I still can't get my local repository working for Fedora Core 4. I've
got a dual boot machine with FC3 & FC4 on it - both installed from
fresh - and the FC3 update works fine (as it has for some time on
many machines on our network), but the FC4 update fails with :

[root@kushana ~]# yum -y update
Repository updates-released already added, not adding again
Repository base already added, not adding again
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB
00:00
ftp://jjonah.chem.york.ac.uk/updates/4/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] 550 Failed to change directory.
Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: updates-released
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from updates-released: [Errno 256] No
more mirrors to try.

I can ftp in by hand and change directories as much as I want, can
also use web-browsers to look around as well, no directory
permissions problems that I can see...

I'm using what seems to be me to be basic config files :
--
FC3 yum.conf  (this works fine)
--

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=ftp://jjonah.chem.york.ac.uk/updates/3/i386

--
FC4 yum.conf (this doesn't work)
--
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=fedora-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
retries=20

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=ftp://jjonah.chem.york.ac.uk/4/i386/os

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=ftp://jjonah.chem.york.ac.uk/updates/4/i386
--

both Fedora's are using the same version of yum -
(machine mounts the other OS root partition as /FC3 or /FC4 depending

--

[root@kushana etc]# /FC3/usr/bin/yum --version
2.3.2

--

The same repository method has been working for my FC1,2, & 3
machines for about a year now, but will not work with FC4...

Greg prompted me to check permissions more carefully (thanks Greg!)
and check that ftp access really was working, but I cannot find
anything wrong with this.  I've been away for about a week and am now
finding myself going round familiar circles trying to work out what
is wrong.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Tim