[Yum] Repo priorities (2.2.1)

Seth,

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, seth vidal wrote:

> > > you can do all sorts of things to pre-empt them by using include/exclude
> > > lists but it's not the same thing as having a 'trump-card repo'
> >
> > But maintaining include/exclude lists is also hard when you are pointing
> > to "arbitrary" repositories.  It is not practical to scan the repositories
> > and build include/exclude lists to add the functionality that was removed.
>
> I don't disagree. But repository scoring as a super-epoch to trump
> versions of packages that are higher seem like the wrong solution to me.
>
> -sv

Here is the situation.  Maybe you can help find a better solution than
repository scoring.

We have Scientific Linux Fermi.  It has mostly the same rpms as Scientific
Linux(RHEL rebuild).  We have a yum.conf that points to the rpms for both
Scientific Linux Fermi and Scientific Linux.  Scientific Linux Fermi has a
older version of openssh that we backport security patches to.  In the
older yum we just gave a higher "priority" to Scientific Linux Fermi and
our openssh was never updated to the newer version in Scientific
Linux.  Now we have to add openssh to the excludes of Scientific Linux.
Not too bad to do when we have only 1 or 2 rpms in this situation but when
there are alot of them then this can be very error prone(manual adding to
config file).

So do you have any suggestions other than excludes on how to do this?

Thanks