[Yum] using bittorrent inside yum - revised

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 05:11:11PM -0400, Harnish, Joseph wrote:
> >On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 15:42 -0400, Harnish, Joseph wrote:
> Maybe I should rephrase my thoughts.
>
> Would it be a good idea to add support for distributed yum repository cache
> awareness to yum?  It could be similar to a function of Y.O.U. (Yast Online
> Updater) where it can be configured as a local mirror.  Or with
> mDNSResponder a tool like yum could find local copies of the packages before
> attempting to go to the sites out on the internet.
>
> This is probably irrelevant to most users but when I run yum and wait for
> packages to come down and then I move on to another machine and wait again I
> feel like there could be a better way to do it.

For lots of uninteresting architectural reasons, it would be very
difficult and cumbersome to get yum to use bittorrent intelligently.
It's also really not the right tool for this job.  Currently, the way
to cleanly do what you describe is to either run your own yum repo
(which is REALLY REALLY easy) or run a caching proxy.

There are also non-clean tricks like running yum once on one machine
and then priming the caches on other machines.

					-Michael
--
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619