[Yum] using bittorrent inside yum - revised

>On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 15:42 -0400, Harnish, Joseph wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was wondering if there has thought or discussion on utilizing the
>> bittorrent network when available to download packages.
>>
>> This could have the potential to help a person running a small network
>> of Linux boxes because he wouldn't have to setup a local repo to reap
>> the benefits of having the packages local (already downloaded by
>> another host).
>>
>> I think this could be a very beneficial plugin for yum especially if
>> FC5 will allow installing via yum through anaconda.
>
>Short:
>http://www.google.com/search?q=yum+bittorrent+site%
>3Alists.dulug.duke.edu
>
>Shorter:
>Kludgy, scales poorly, and doesn't offer significant benefits.
>
>--icon

Maybe I should rephrase my thoughts.

Would it be a good idea to add support for distributed yum repository cache
awareness to yum?  It could be similar to a function of Y.O.U. (Yast Online
Updater) where it can be configured as a local mirror.  Or with
mDNSResponder a tool like yum could find local copies of the packages before
attempting to go to the sites out on the internet.

This is probably irrelevant to most users but when I run yum and wait for
packages to come down and then I move on to another machine and wait again I
feel like there could be a better way to do it.

Thanks,

Joe