[Yum] Linux newbie install problem

So I'm trying to shift from Windows to Linux Centos, and my ISP suggests
that I update my MySQL using yum. I put it on my server, extract the
tarball, cd to the directory created, and run
make Makefile
but make doesn't find anything to do, and no file named yum is created in
that directory or in /usr/bin. What I am I missing?

Joe