[Yum] Rollbacks in yum

Jeremy Lyon <Jeremy.Lyon@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> rollbacks are not implemented in yum. I've looked at the issue a couple
>> of times and both times it was suggested to me that the rollback
>> functionality was not going to be in rpm in the future so I shouldn't
>> write code for it.
>>

> Seth, where are you finding that rpm would not have this functionality in
> the future?  I went searching for that and could not find it.  I also got
> some info from RH that they had not heard of that either.  I know they rely
> upon it heavily for up2date and all the other package management that they
> sell (that is easily duplicated with yum minus rollbacks).

RPM rollbacks should be avoided.  They effectively are an abandoned
development path that started but never really was finished.  In RPM,
the functionality might be there still, and it may usually work, but
it is not something you want to depend on.

up2date may still have a checkbox of 'repackage packages when
upgrading' but it doesn't rely on RPM's rollback functionality (and
someone should file a bug to remove the checkbox, heh).  Instead, if
you have certain levels of service with RHN, you can roll back
upgrades, but up2date in that case removes the new package and
installs again the pristine package of that version, then copies
config files from RHN's repository.

RPM's rollback functionality is most definitely NOT relied upon by
either up2date or RHN because it was never considered a reliable
enough approach.

Chip

--
Chip Turner                   cturner@xxxxxxxxxxx