[Yum] concern

On Apr 1, 2005, at 13:33, seth vidal wrote:

>> sorry to hear that.
>>

> I guess i'm just confused what you would have me do.
>
> Relying on the headers is not going to work.

I don't think I mentioned headers. I must admit that I still include
them in my repositories to allow the user to update yum itself, but
that is outside this scope.
I use xml in a number of other contexts so I agree that xml is a valid
solution to a number of problems. Just - it created one here.
As I said: I see a problem. I didn't say: here is what you should do.

I don't think your argument about anaconda holds any kind of water. I
can wipe the disk any time too. I wouldn't need yum then. The idea was
to see if yum could be used to overcome the distribution barrier in a
live environment. And unfortunately - it couldn't.

So what to do about it....
Well - ask me anything about parallel processing, mobo development,
open firmware, networking or kernel issues and I can most likely answer
you. Python? Not my language yet.
If yum had been coded in C I would say - link it statically to make it
self contained. Very likely we would then have other problems.

Python like so many other languages solve these problems by being cross
platform, or so they say. Like asm, C and any other language it is
cross platform ..... given enough support.

You found yourself that possibly the xml passing could be done
statically ( not using libxml ). I thought of that. The problem with
libxml is that it sucks in this context. It depends on to many other
things. LibC for one.

Granted - updating from one distribution (more correctly probably:
major revision) to the next is the most demanding attempt - because the
developer never intended that. Or at least it seems so.
I am not picking at YDL here - they follow FC.

So I was more looking for: yes or no to that you see the problem and  -
well - then we will have to think for a while. Maybe an idea will pop
up.

Karsten