[Yum] yum and suse

seth vidal wrote:
>>Is using yum on SuSE actually going to work without day-to-day headaches?
>>Presumably I just need to run yast-arch or whatever on the SuSE updates
>>directory. Will SLES work if I grab the updates out of the YOU directory?
>

> you mean yum-arch
>
> I don't know what YOU is.

YOU == Yast Online Update

Doesn't work that great, there's a script "fou4s" or so which works much
better.

But it doesn't allow for additional install/etc stuf yum offers.

One can easily, (presuming a valid account for the enterprise versions
updates) simply mirror the suse updates with some cli tool like
wget/curl. In opposite to redhat, which make downloading multiple
patches through rhn a pain in the ass, unless you have (for any version)
one system connected to the interent/rhn. There's a "rhn proxy" and a
"local rhn server" available. But alas they aren't really cheap and
might not be the proper solution for anyone.

>>I tried the yast source rpm (after rebuilding it) on SuSE, but it requires
>>/sbin/service which isn't in SuSE. Any ideas, anyone? I assume the spec
>>file needs to know about whatever it is SuSE uses...
>

> yast source rpm? do you mean yum?
>

> I was just talking to someone this morning about this.
> Questions:
>  - what ver of sles?
>  - what ver of yum?
>  - what ver of rpm?

Sles (Suse Linux Enterprise Server) version 8 comes with rpm 3.x, AFAIK
no go with yum.

Sles 9 comes with rpm 4.x, so yum might work, haven't tested, but I'll
be glad to hear that it works with yum.

Regards and keep the great work!

Michael Heiming