[Yum] yum dying...

hi..

points taken!

i did a 'yum list extra' and cleared out a bunch of 'redhat-config-*' files
from the rpm db 'rpm -e foo'. i then made sure i had the yum/fedora-release
for fc2 and i did a rpm update (Uvh) for these files.

my expectations/goal was to go ahead and do another upgrade to fc2 to make
sure that i had the right files for fc2.

i then did a 'yum upgrade'. yum ran, buiilt a list of files that it was
going to get/install. it just finished with the process.

however, when i do a rpm -q python, i see that i have the same version of
python that was installed prior to the yum upgrade process. so, what am i
doing wrong?

how do i actually get the rpms/files that yum said it got to actually be
loaded/installed, so that i can see them.. i can provide you a copy of the
list of files it stated that it got, but it's pretty long, which is what i
expected...

is there something else to the process that i'm missing...

my current rpm versions are:

yum-2.0.7-1.1

fedora-release-2-4

python-2.2.3-7

yum.conf
 simply points back to the dowload fedora repos for fc2/i386. to keep thing
simple, i decided to get everything from redhats repos for now.

my distro seems to be fc something?? is there a way that i can determine
exactly what the system thinks it is.. when i fire up gnome, the fc logo
appears.. when i do a 'cat /etc/procversion/name (?)' i get RH 8...

so at this point, the server is sitting here.. it seems to have gotten the
files.. but it doesn't seem to have installed them... any idea as to what's
going on, or what i need to do toget everything up to fc2. if the rpms are
installed, how/why can't i see them when i do an 'rpm -q' do i need to
reboot 1st...?

btw, i just did a [foo /]find . -name python*.rpm
and saw the correct versions/rpms in the /var/cache/yum/base/packages dir...
so what do i need to do to get these files installd/loaded into my system?

i'd like to get this resolved before i reboot, and seriosuly screw something
up!

thanks..

bruce