[Yum] Yum service hangs

Michael Stenner schrieb:

>>the only solution is to kill the Yum-process and I agree is not
>>rpmdb related (the rpmdb is okay) it's a network problem.
>
> How do you know that?  Please share the results of your investigation.

Because I can use rpm commands without any problems, even when yum sits
there and does nothing. I can install and delete rpm-pkgs with the rpm
commands and when I simply kill the yum process and restart it, then it
works again until this problem shows up again. Btw. when yum has trouble
with the rpmdb it has a different behaviour it hangs then in the testing
part and never returns there but when the rpmdb is broken you can
reproduce this problem always (a kill and restart doesn't work) until
you fix the rpmdb. I must say that the problem with the broken rpmdb is
rare (at least I saw it not often).

> Here's the thing.  I need to be able to recreate these problems in
> order to diagnose them.  I know it's frustrating to have something
> nont work correctly, but I've NEVER seen this behavior.  So far,

I see this behavior often (since the first day of yum :)), maybe because
I have several systems running with yum so that this problem has more
changes to show it's face :)? Interesting is that most of the time this
problem shows up on more then one system at the same time (nightly updates).

I'm happy if I can help you to track down this problem. Btw. I talked to
other people which use yum and from time to time they have the same
problem but they are not part of this list, so you will never hear from
them :).

Bye,

   J?rgen