[Yum] Yum service hangs

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:11:58 -0700, Michael Stenner wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:22:29AM -0400, David L. Parsley wrote:
> > > unless your repos are REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY slow, I've found that a hang
> > > in yum is most often caused by an rpmdb lockup.
> > > -sv
> > >
> > This issue was traced to a problem with ftp repos.  The hung yum process
> > has an open ftp control connection, with no packets queued for sending -
> > it just sits there keeping yum alive.  There's no time out in the ftp
> > code, and no timeout in yum waiting for the ftp.  My solution is to
> > release a new default yumconf in the next few weeks with all http repos,
> > because, I'm told, the http code gets 'more luvin'.
> > *shrug*
>
> Hehe.  While I doubt very much that's a real quote, I'm pretty sure
> I'm the one who said it :)  That's true.  Frankly, I don't think
> yum/urlgrabber is the place to fix such quirky ftp behavior, but
> rather in ftplib (which is part of the standard python distro).
>
> However, this is a significant problem.  If folks can provide me with
> a way to recreate such problems, I'd be happy to seriously look into
> them.  Also, each of these messages leads me to think we should bump
> timeouts up on the priority list a bit.
>
> This may not be something timeouts can help though.  How long will it
> hang?  A few minutes?  Hours?  If the latter, it's probably broken ftp
> handling (possibly server, more likely client, conceivably both).  In
> that case, timeouts won't help.

In my case, my network is connected via a PPP dialup connection.  As long
as the pppd is running, my system doesn't receive ICMP messages about the
lack of a connection (pppd queues packets until a connection is made).
Whenever I reconnect, my ISP gives me a new IP address.

Whenever the dialup connection drops, yum transfers end up hanging,
sometimes for hours until I interrupt them.

This is why I added the wget option to my copy of yum.  Wget works around
the problems I have with downloading.

	-Paul