[Yum] Yum service hangs

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:22:29AM -0400, David L. Parsley wrote:
> > unless your repos are REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY slow, I've found that a hang
> > in yum is most often caused by an rpmdb lockup.
> > -sv
> >
> This issue was traced to a problem with ftp repos.  The hung yum process
> has an open ftp control connection, with no packets queued for sending -
> it just sits there keeping yum alive.  There's no time out in the ftp
> code, and no timeout in yum waiting for the ftp.  My solution is to
> release a new default yumconf in the next few weeks with all http repos,
> because, I'm told, the http code gets 'more luvin'.
> *shrug*

Hehe.  While I doubt very much that's a real quote, I'm pretty sure
I'm the one who said it :)  That's true.  Frankly, I don't think
yum/urlgrabber is the place to fix such quirky ftp behavior, but
rather in ftplib (which is part of the standard python distro).

However, this is a significant problem.  If folks can provide me with
a way to recreate such problems, I'd be happy to seriously look into
them.  Also, each of these messages leads me to think we should bump
timeouts up on the priority list a bit.

This may not be something timeouts can help though.  How long will it
hang?  A few minutes?  Hours?  If the latter, it's probably broken ftp
handling (possibly server, more likely client, conceivably both).  In
that case, timeouts won't help.

					-Michael
--
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619