[Yum] yum 2.1.11

On Thursday 28 October 2004 08:14, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>>On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 07:50 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
[...]
>The question is why is someone using a 2.1.x version of Yum with
> Fedora Core 2.  Yum 2.1/2.2 is for FC3, there is no reason for FC2
> repositories to have the new metadata format.  Similarly there is
> no reason for FC3 repositories to use the old metadata format.
>
>> In this case, it appears that the repo format has changed,
>> requireing repo maintainers to mirror an additional copy just for
>> the new format.  Some will, and some won't for various reasons
>> related to admin time and available space.
>
>You are talking bollocks.
>
> Nigel.

With all due respect, why were we asked to give it a spin without
saying its "for FC3 only" someplace in the announcement?

IMO yum-2.0.7 for the earlier usage is broken when a person has
replaced one broken package with one that works by means other than
yum because the package to fix the problem wasn't available to the
FC2 version of yum.  The end result is that it cannot match the
dependencies and refuses to update/upgrade other, totally unrelated
packages that probably should be updated immediately if this machine
was exposed to the network.  It is not, so that point is moot _here_,
but how many others who are not so insulated from the network are
caught in that same dependency hell?  All of those folks are caught
and yum rendered useless if they want a cups that doesn't crash
kprinter and sometimes the whole machine just by hovering the mouse
over kprinter or a kprinter related item in the kde pullups.
AFAIK, in the 6 months FC2 has been out, this problem has not been
addressed and it _has_ been talked about on the fedora lists.  But
thats mostly ignored because we are kde users.  Gnome of course would
have been fixed the same day, but thats yet another political
arguement I won't press here.

That 2.0.7 version of yum doesn't seem to make any distinction between
a cups/gimp-print related dependency (which is why its died here) and
some other totally unrelated thing, it just simply says the package
isn't available and bails out.  IMO if the dependency isn't
cups/gimp-print/gutenprint related, that shouldn't stop it from going
ahead and updateing other things.  But it does stop it.  And except
for building newer kernels, xorgs and kdes,  I'm frozen in time, and
hopeing an update to FC3RC2 sometime in the next few days will remedy
some or all of it.  The iso's are here, but I need to get another
spindle of cd's before I can burn them.  Thats a 60+ mile round trip
at 15-18 mpg for me here in the middle of West Virginia USA and will
be combined with other business to justify that expense.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)