[Yum] Yum and Bittorrent

Jarret Raim wrote:
>> Aren't you taking a fairly serious performance hit?
>
> Not really. BitTorrent does incur some overhead, but since we are only
> seeding and only a couple files at a time, the hit is minimal. If a user
> wants they can configure the client to only upload 1 file at a time with
> a low bandwidth cap to help alleviate the performace drop.

Well, there is another issue which your method does not address. If you
only torrent large files (say, over 50 Mb in size), then the vast
majority of packages is still downloaded from the server. What bogs down
large mirrors is not bandwidth -- we have it out the proverbial wazoo.
What bogs us down is processor and io load. If most requests are still
made to the servers (plus there is additional tracker load), does that
actually improve the situation?

I still think we're chasing the wrong goose trying to unite yum and
bittorrent, and it is better to have a bittorrent-like protocol for
syncing mirrors and a special download method for urlgrabber that would
grab byte-ranges from multiple servers. This would allow the mirror load
to drop significantly, thus improving the situation when half the world
sends us HTTP requests.

But I would like to see and play with your work. There are some
interesting points there.

Regards,
--icon