[Yum] Re: yum install -force package

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 11:20:46AM -0700, Olaf Olson alleged:

> >I attempted a search of the archives for word of such a tool, but
> >didn't find it listed. Is there a way to reinstall a particular
> >package that has been broken by a user who deleted part of the
> >application? I can't yum remove it and yum update, of course, says it
> >is up to date.

In many cases, you can simply remove the rpmdb entry for this package and then
yum will happily install it.

rpm -e --justdb --nodeps packagename

However, before you do that, you need to decide whether this action is safe for
this particular package.  Look at the scripts for the package, 'rpm -q
--scripts packagename', understand that yum will _install_ (not upgrade) the
package, and decide whether this package will do the right thing.  You might
also want to check for any triggers.  Depending on what you find, You might
decide to download the package and manually install it with --noscripts
--notriggers.

University of Southern California