[Yum] Re: [Beowulf] Athlon64 / Opteron test (fwd)

On 15 May 2004, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> RGB> The libraries (unfortunately) have the same name as
> RGB> their x86_64 counterparts, so working by package name per se,
> RGB> e.g.
>
> RGB>   yum install glibc
>
> RGB> won't work (glibc is already installed, x86_64 version).
>
> yum install glibc.i386
>
> works for me with FC2 test 3.  I can't however seem to find when this
> change went in or where it's documented.

[root@s02 rgb]# yum install glibc.i386
Server: Fedora Core  1 - x86_64 - base
Server: Physics RHL
Server: Fedora Core  1 - x86_64 - updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Cannot find a package matching glibc.i386
No actions to take

Obviously after FC1, which we're still using in production on our
Opterons.  Maybe the solution is just to wait for FC2?  This naming
scheme would work fine, especially if there were a package group named
something pithy like Compat_i386 that had all the package.i386 libraries
in it.  To run "arbitrary" i386 programs, unfortunately one needs a
nearly complete twinning of the x86_64 libraries including e.g. GSL,
libm, and others.  This is assuming that the system would indeed barf if
handed i386 code that called mixed libraries further downstream than
just glibc.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx