[Yum] upgrading between Cores

> Using Fedora Core 1 is is possible to upgrade to Core 2 without having to use
> the install Cds?  I had heard that this might be possible through apt, and
> thought that it might be similar for yum.

I did that last week with yum.  You may have to 'yum remove'
(or 'rpm -e' is faster) some rpms to resolve some dependencies,
but more or less the steps below should help.

Warning: Don't do this if you don't understand what you're doing!
Backup files before you change them!

0. Use 'script' to keep a log of everything you do.
1. Download the fedora-release package and 'rpm -Uvh' it.
2. Comment out all old repository sections in yum.conf.  You only
   need the [development] repo.  It will not work if you keep the
   fedora core 1 [base] section around.  You may want to get the
   latest yum from the devel branch and use the yum.conf in it.
3. http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
   Load up on mirrors.  Some are less reliable.  Find a good one,
   put it at the top, and add failovermethod=priority.  Don't add
   mirrors that don't have the development branch.
4. 'yum upgrade'
5. If you're lucky, yum will 'finish'... it may crash at the end
   when it tries to grubby the kernel - no big deal.
6. In case you don't have /sys:
   a. mkdir /sys
   b. echo "none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
7. To make sure you boot the new kernel:
   a. /sbin/grubby --set-default /boot/vmlinuz-2.6*
   b. rpm -q kernel|sed '/2.6/d;s/^/rpm -e /'|sh

One more thing to watch out for... I had to reconfig my printer.
I never tried after upgrading from rh8 to fc1, so I don't know at
what point things changed... everything uses cups now.
   'yum install system-config-printer' (and then run it)

Hope this helps... and GOOD LUCK