[Yum] Problem with Latest Release (2.0.6-1)

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 11:36:59AM -0600, TBrowder wrote:
> Thanks for the speedy reply:

We try :)

That's not crazy.

> > what happens:  python -c 'import ftplib'
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<string>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/ftplib.py", line 46, in ?
>     import socket
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/socket.py", line 41, in ?
>     from _socket import *
> ImportError: /lib/libssl.so.4: undefined symbol: krb5_cc_get_principal

OK, your python installation is hosed.  I'm 99% sure.  I was fairly
sure before, but this is just nuts.  I don't know how or in what way.
It's also possible that it's more than just your python installation.
You'll probably want to do some remove/reinstall action with some of
those rpms.  You might also just do some verify fun with rpm to see
what's what and if there are things that shouldn't be there.

In any event, this is now a fedora issue rather than a yum issue :)

> I'm quite comfortable with perl but python makes my eyes glaze (I
> guess I'll have to stab at it since so many installers are using it,
> but I sure see lots of python errors using them).

I'm a former perl guy myself and am quite pleased with the transition
from perl to python.  One thing is that they have very different error
reporting styles, and python's is a lot more bulky :)

I was always impressed with perl's magical ability to divine where I
screwed up and direct me to that very spot.  python doesn't do that,
but it does give you stack traces, which are great in many contexts.
They are, however, much more intimidating for the user :)

					-Michael

--
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619