[Yum] yum failover url problem.

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 04:17:59PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> > It does not matter when you have got a fat pipe and can connect to
> > multiple repositories. But, believe me...if you got a slow dial-up link
> > and yum can recognize a LOCAL repository (on the Lan), through a
> > configuration parameter, and prefers it over a remote repository and
> > uses the remote one only for the failed files...it really makes a
> > difference.
> >
> > Of course, now the burden to ensure that local repository files are
> > uncorrupted, falls upon the user. Esentially one will have to write a
> > script to checksum & verify the file, delete & re-download the files
> > that fail. If these features are built into yum, it will help the new
> > users a lot.
>
> and the real burden falls to me to implement the features. This takes
> time and testing. And of course features are not free, they require
> maintenance going forward.

Actually, partial support for this exists in the new urlgrabber.  The
new MirrorGroup stuff keeps a per-request list of mirrors as well as a
more global list.  It is possible to ask it to never increment the
global list, so it always tries the first mirror first for each file.

There would still be work necessary to make this available at the yum
level, of course, and so the issue should be subjected to the same
tradeoff questions.

					-Michael
--
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619